Biography

ALAN H. CAMPBELL, CLU, ChFC

Alan Campbell is the founder and President of the Opis Companies (Opis): Opis Advisors, Inc., a Registered Investment Advisor - fee based investment advice and consultation; Opis Insurance Services, Inc., - estate planning, business continuity planning, life insurance and annuity services; and Opis Retirement Consultants, Inc. - design, implementation and ultimate distribution of qualified, non-qualified retirement plans and executive compensation plans.

Our mission is to help business owners, entrepreneurs and their families make informed, smart decisions with their assets for security, independence, growth and intergenerational continuity. We employ a collaborative wealth management process with our professional network geared to our client’s specific and unique needs. The key elements in our client selection process are whether or not we have rapport and can make a significant and lasting impact. We work closely with our client’s key legal and tax advisors. 

Driving the company’s foundation was the realization that business owners are confronted with the difficulty of finding and selecting a financial advisor who can provide the wealth management services they need and that such firms are rare in the marketplace. If the key elements of Wealth Management are defined to include Wealth Enhancement (business and personal tax coordination and planning), Wealth Protection and Wealth Transfer planning, Investment Consultation and Relationship Management (with clients and their advisors), then a recent study [1] of financial advisors indicated that while 46% promoted themselves as “wealth managers” and the other 54% as financial planners, advisors and investment advisors, only 6.6% actually delivered this level of service with most focused primarily on investments.

Opis is one of few firms responding to this need in the marketplace. It is well positioned to wealth management services by virtue of its structure; It is independent of any financial company or institution, has an extensive professional network and experience over several decades with the financial problems facing most business owners and their families.

Mr. Campbell has over 30 years’ experience in the financial services industry. His professional designations include Chartered Life Underwriter (CLU) and Chartered Financial Consultant (ChFC)[2].  Mr. Campbell and the Opis Companies have unblemished records with all regulatory and licensing authorities.

During his high school years Mr. Campbell was a champion swimmer, a second tenor in the school choirs while working part time. He volunteered for service in the United States Navy immediately after high school and during his enlistment achieved the rank of Petty Officer 3rd Class concurrently working in small local businesses to put himself through college. He graduated from UCLA with a degree in mathematics and was invited to attend the Navy’s Officer’s Candidate School in Newport, Rhode Island, receiving his commission as an Officer of the Line. He requested duty on amphibious assault ships in the Pacific Fleet and was assigned to the USS Duluth (LPD-6). His service included 2 Vietnam combat campaigns. His duties included First Division Officer, Weapons and Nuclear Weapons Officer, Communications and Crypto-Security Officer with Top Secret security clearance and he was a Qualified Officer of the Deck Underway.

Released from active duty after the war, he selected his career in the estate planning and life insurance industry with a major insurance company where he received training in estate and business planning, retirement plans and investments for business owners. He was drawn to his calling because his father had suddenly died during his military active duty with no will or estate planning, leaving him with the responsibility of caring and providing for his mother, which he did for the next 41 years, and because he admired the entrepreneurial spirit of the small business owners that he had worked for.

His accomplishments include membership in the life insurance industry’s Million Dollar Round Table, beginning early in his career, including consistent membership in the prestigious Top of the Table and Court of the Table. Mr. Campbell is married and he and his wife are involved in numerous community and charitable organizations and enjoy a hobby in classic and vintage cars and travel.       

© Opis Companies 2017 with all rights reserved


[1] CEG Worldwide, 2007

[2] The Chartered Life Underwriter and Chartered Financial Consultant designations are conferred by The American College, Bryn Mawr, PA. A candidate for these designations must have 3 years of full-time business experience within the 5 years before the designation is awarded. Candidates must complete 8 courses and pass a proctored final exam for each course for each designation. Designates must complete 30 hours of continuing education every 2 years in order to maintain these designations.